Favorite Songs 2010 -World-

The songs I wasn't as obsessed over as those from the Spain and Argentina editions, but that when I heard them I couldn't stop thinking about them or would suddenly pop into my thoughts until I played it to calm it down and satisfy it. Oh and obviously these aren't from Spain and Argentina. Edition.

(Also, these are songs that were new to me, as of last year)

I couldn't think of a way to organize this, but then I realized that my musical choices don't need no stinkin' organizashun! Ahem.

NATACHA ATLAS - "Man's World"



LOS SKARNALES - "Demasiado Tarde"

I went to see Maldita Vecindad in concert, and Huecco and Los Skarnales were the opening bands. Huecco gave great concert, but Los Skarnales really killed it. They pay homage to the pachuco, zoot suit, pinstripe suit days, with extremely danceable ska, and the lead singer injects his monologues with language from those days, while pulling a comb out of his back pocket to slick back his 'do.


WILLIE COLON & HECTOR LAVOE - "Aguanile"

I bought a "Best of" for Willie Colon after I couldn't get the trumpet riff from "La Murga" out of my head (thanks to one of the trumpeters at the Maldita concert. "Aguanile" is a joy to listen and dance to, the sound so fresh and Hector's voice so sweet, especially in these days of salsa that sounds so.. stale and copied.


CAIFANES (now JAGUARES) - "De Noche Todos Los Gatos Son Pardos"



SHANTEL REMIX OF TARAF DE HAIDOUKS - "Duba Duba Si Hora"



DRAGONFORCE - "Valley of the Damned"

At work I was sat listening to Metallica's "Am I Evil?", unable to not head-bang a little at certain points, when my boss came over. I guessed rightly that he could hear the music coming from the headphones, but he also wanted to know what I was listening to. Thus began a good conversation between two excitable and music-loving peoples about good rock, good metal, and he introduced me to Dragonforce. His favorite is Iron Maiden, has a synthesizer to create his own music on and play along with, and he used to have big ol' eighties hair (he's 40 now, with a military cut, and he does miss his hair). I am proud to say I was just able to keep up with him, as much music as I've listened to and documentaries that I've seen. Dragonforce is beautiful.


LOS JAIVAS - "Hijos de la Tierra"

I first heard Los Jaivas in one Spanish literature class a few years back. The teacher played a DVD of the Chilean group playing some of their songs at Machu Picchu, all dressed in white, serenading the beauty of the land with their Andean-music-inspired songs. I knew it was love at first, uhm, hearing.
One of my tattoos is inspired by Los Jaivas' "Amor Americano", a song inspired by one of Pablo Neruda's poems of the same name.




INTI-ILLIMANI - "Salake"

Inti-Illimani is an Andean/folk music group also from Chile. There is an element about Andean music that draws me to it, makes me feel at peace yet also heartbreak. A lot of Inti-Illimani's songs, like Los Jaivas, have to do with the political regime in Chile and South America at that time (both groups were formed in the 60's and are still going). One of my absolute favorite Inti-Illimani songs is "Exiliada del Sur"


THE DICKIES - "Killer Klowns"

Yes, from the movie "Killer Klowns from Outer Space". I switched to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 channel and this movie was just finishing--I saw the last five minutes and felt like I needed brain bleach immediately. Ugh.
I had to wait to see what the next MST3K movie would be, and fortunately this song accompanied the credits. I can't tell you why I love this, it could be the lyrics, it's probably the guitar, but it's awesome.



JOE VERAS - "Se Vive Una Vez"

Bachata de corta venas (depressing..-ly true bachata. Marvin the Paranoid Android SIGH.)


LA BARRANCA - "Quemate Lento"


DJ FLEX + NIGGA - "Vete"


KOFRE - "El Condor Pasa"

This is a cover of a famous Andean song written by Daniel Alomia Robles in 1913.



KORPIKLAANI - "Spring Dance"

Finnish folk metal. Yum. Even more "yum" is their alcohol-themed songs: "Vodka", "Beer Beer", and "Happy Little Boozer" to name a few. But "Spring Dance" grabbed my heart first.


CEE LO GREEN - "Fuck You"

This song is so good. Also fun to sing along silently to at work.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Samurai and Jane Eyre

Musica y Futbol -Rayo Vallecano & Ska-P-

Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan