Music Loves of 2012

The songs I discovered via youtube or other people's recommendations in 2012, which I then put into a youtube playlist.. exciting!

In order of how they're in the said playlist:

(1.) I can't believe I'd never heard of or listened to The Specials before last year.
My three faves:

Gangsters



Ghost Town



Hey Little Rich Girl



(2.) Already liked Madness, found another to love (in part because of the silly video)

One Step Beyond



(3.) Saratoga's Maldito Corazon is yum. Warning: head-banging imminent.


(4.) Discovered Argentina's Calzones Rotos probably while listening to Los Violadores' (also Argentinian) take on A Clockwork Orange with "Uno, Dos, Ultraviolento". Los Calzones Rotos did a ska version, to Los Violadores' punk. Delish.

Quiero Tenerte

El Cuento del Tio - I've realized a lot of songs I love have a Middle Eastern/Arabic tint to it



Mugre

Milonga Ska


(5.) MAD HEADS XL - Ukranian ska. I may have already posted about discovering their take on Smereka, and another song, too. I found more to love. I heart ska.
How do I label these..

er, this Christmasy one:



this "add ska to a boring party and make everything better!"



um, this sweet one

I especially like this one, with its harmonies



(6.) Spinetta

Spinetta, Latin American rock pioneer and great, died last year. I had heard of him, but not really his music, aside from Bajan. One futbol journalist recommended two songs:

Post Crucifixion

Blues de Cris


(7.) I can't quite recall where I first heard this, but it sure is heart-breaking.
Bessie Smith and "Careless Love Blues"




(8.) Cheb Khaled, Rachid Taha, and Faudel in concert, and I found this beautiful song, which led to other beautiful songs.



(9.) Faudel - Baida

in Arabic

in French



(10.) Cheb Khaled

His "Alech Taadi" is in the background of the taxi chase scene in the film The Fifth Element

and this, El Harba Wine, is inspiring



(11.) Ruth Etting - everything she sings
Yes, I watched the Doris Day movie (which of course you should see) and discovered the artist. I love me some Doris Day, but the tragedy in Etting's voice cannot be reproduced.

Here's a few:

Deed I Do

Reaching for the Moon

Ten Cents a Dance

Deep Night (which I especially like)



and a movie clip of the woman herself singing


(12.) Los Jaivas' Vete Dolor is particularly haunting. I love it.

and Como Tus Rios Te Recorren - I can't express how it makes me feel. Perhaps: in love.



(13.) I'm sure I've documented my love for Goran Bregovic's music. Here's Paradehtika.


(14.) Shantel mix of Da Zna Zora


(15.) Flema - Me Tengo Que Ir (which I think of every time I have to leave)
I liked Flema already because of La Neurona, which is fun to sing while driving.


(16.) In a post about rock radical vasco, I'm sure I said I love Eskorbuto. I realized why last year--every song I've listened to by this great and too-short-lived group is wonderful to me.

Ha Llegado el Momento



En la Luna

Mi Degeneracion



La Ultima Pelea


(17.) Co-worker recommended The Toasters. I know why.

Weekend in L.A.


(18.) The Locos was created by a singer of Ska-P as a side project while the great Ska-P was on break. (I love Ska-P. Did you know? I do I do I do.) Needless to say, The Locos are good fun (about serious subjects).

Algo mejor

Contrato Limosna



Duenos del Mundo


(19.) LOS FABULOSOS CADILLACS - BELCHA
who couldn't love this song?! about a stray dog that one of the band members lost




(20.) I absolutely fell in love with the movie Ashura, and tried to find some clips on YouTube to support my craving, and found this music video




FIN









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Samurai and Jane Eyre

Musica y Futbol -Rayo Vallecano & Ska-P-

Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan