Favorite Songs of 2011 - Part I

I am currently wearing this hat

*the list is rather long, so I'm making it a two-parter. Remember, these are songs I discovered this year, not just songs I listened to all year long.

1. Spinetta - "Bajan"
I wish I could remember how I found this song, but I can remember how it made me feel because I still feel the same when I listen to it: his voice is so beautiful and I feel like I am in mourning, despite the beauty.




2. Los Jaivas - "Si tu no estas"

It's no secret the love I have for Los Jaivas; one of their songs inspired a tattoo, and many of their songs inspire great hope and nostalgia in me. This song, "Si tu no estas", I find sweet, mesmerizing, and melancholy.




3. Los Tres - "Quien es la que viene alli"

Again, I do not remember how I encountered this beauty, but it is cute. I love the guitar, the harmonies, and it is easy to sing along to.




- Los Tres - "La torre de Babel"

Everything, plus the message..




5. Goran Bregovic - "Jeremija"

I know exactly how I discovered Goran Bregovic--I wrote about it here, but basically the connection is Spanish ska punk rock group Boikot was inspired by Bregovic's work. I find this strong and forceful, and who can resist a clip that begins with yelling "alcohol!"?




- Goran Bregovic - "Gas Gas"

I may only like this so much because of the extremely handsome man singing in this video. The rhythm is dance-able as well..




7. Los Toreros Muertos - "Yo no me llamo Javier"

The video is fantastic, but the song I love because of the straightforward lyrics--well, not particularly inspiring, but still, it's not fun to be mistaken for someone else--and the zany 80's sound.
Even more zany/insane is their song "Mi Aguita Amarilla" (yes, about yellow pee) and that Molotov did a metal cover of it,




8. Fanfare Ciocarlia - "Ailili (Shantel Remix)"

After viewing the documentary, When the Road Bends: Tales of a Gypsy Caravan, which is definitely recommended viewing for all, a most interesting and beautiful learning experience of the travels of gypsy music throughout history and the groups today who continue and build on that tradition, I did a search on some of the bands. What drew me to this song first is the involvement of Shantel, who remixed some other songs I also love, like "Duba Duba Si Hora" (with Taraf de Haidouks, who also feature in the Gypsy Caravan documentary) and "Sadagora Hot Dub" (with the Amsterdam Klezmer Band).




9. La Polla Records - "Gol en el campo"

I already wrote about this song here, but I can add now that this song has really stuck with me this year. Last year I finally embraced twitter and gained access to the world of futbol in all its glory, thanks to the headlines and thoughts of the wonderful/football-crazy journalists and bloggers (and regular folks like me) that twitter reveals. However, I found myself disillusioned with the sport after reading of the doings of FIFA, for example, or of the money that goes around in the sport despite the world's economy, or of the problems like racism and homophobia that still exist despite how much more knowledgeable people should be with the advent of internet access (or something along those lines. More tolerant. Less close-minded.).
Blergh. "Que bonito es el futbol, para los que gobiernan" indeed.
I must add that this blog, this wonderful blog, pointing out the things to love about football, has most certainly lifted my spirits, so now I can check it every time I think of "tras la pelota, hay mucha mierda".




10. Rammstein - "Te Quiero Puta"

What's not to love? A German metal band singing in Spanish and using Mexican sounds--fantastic. Also: the lyrics. Delish.




11. Mad Heads XL - "Smereka"

I absolutely adore this song, and even more so because of the video (which begins with a little bit of Emir Kusturica & the No Smoking Orchestra and, incidentally, the song has trumpet sounds like Goran Bregovic's "Kalashnikov"). I always break out into dancing for this song. Yummy Ukranian ska.




- Mad Heads XL - "Dubky"
Super catchy ditty.



I'd like to add in two songs I discovered while sailing the good ship YouTube under Mad Heads, mostly because they (1) are good ska joints, and (2) led me to number 13. "Wodska" by Skambiance and "Marusya" by Svoboda.



13. Madness - "Night Boat to Cairo"

I have lots and lots (lots) of love for this one. It makes me feel like all is right with the world, and my heart is happy.




14. Korroskada - "Torero"

I remember looking for new songs, and since I bought Bat, Bi, Hiru...Hamar! last year, I've wanted to discover a few more songs by the artists I liked on that compilation. "Torero" is an interesting one because of the lyrics--that is, it is rather "not done" these days to declare your desire to be a torero and what the lyrics/singer desires, at least in song--to be rich and famous--plus I can't tell if the whole thing is tongue in cheek (for 1980's Spain, I mean). But it finds me singing along loudly, as the rhythm is catchy and the lyrics memorable.




16. Eskorbuto - "Antes de las guerras"

Though I have already declared my love for Eskorbuto in an earlier post, I still wanted to find more. I love what this song implies.



I would like to add "Cuidado" by Eskorbuto to the Eskorbuto love-fest, if only because it was mentioned by Basque referee Edu Iturralde to be one of his favorite songs.



17. Los Violadores - "1, 2, Ultraviolento"

I may have had a music-related orgasm when I heard this song: it begins with guitar-Beethoven and turns into punk. A little research reveals the song to be inspired by the movie A Clockwork Orange. So of course, with my love for the novel and the movie, how would I not like this ditty? (sweet words+fantastic film+punk music = happy Christine) Wikipedia calls Los Violadores, formed in 1980 Argentina, the pioneers of punk in Latin America--another easy way into my music-heart. (Imagine, punk in 1980's Latin America. Kind of brave, to understate it.)




- Los Violadores - "Viejos Pateticos"

Of course when I fall in love with a new band, I have to do more research.




- Los Violadores - "Represion"





- Los Violadores - "Loco por ti"

My new love song, appropriately punk.




END OF PART I

What have I learned so far? That music makes me fall in love/hot. But I knew that. Also, that my tastes are varied but have not varied so much from what I already love. Part II will be more eclectic, and thanks to the internetz I can now embrace my nerdy side in song.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Samurai and Jane Eyre

Musica y Futbol -Rayo Vallecano & Ska-P-

Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan