Favorite Songs of 2011 - Part II


Saw this movie for the first time a few months ago, and it was perfect. I love Toshiro Mifune, I love samurai films-particularly those of Kurosawa-I love Charles Bronson, and I love when Westerns can be connected to the samurai ideal, like with The Magnificent Seven, plus I love how friggin' diverse Red Sun is. (Google Images)


Now to the music... (again, all songs I discovered this year)


21. Los Caminantes - "Entre mas lejos me vaya"

It ain't the suits, if you're wondering, the hair--the video, in all--that drew me to this song. I can't put my finger on why it touched me so, but.. I love this song. I sing it loudly at a local Mexican bar when it comes on.




22. Chencha Berrinches - "Esperando la muerte"

I have been looking for Chencha songs since I heard, and fell in love with, "Murcielaga", which I'd heard on a compilation. Thanks to YouTube, there are now a few more songs, but this one I loved most. You know I much I rate ska. You should know by know. Really.




23. Belle & Sebastian - "I Want the World To Stop"

Recommended by an acquaintance, and I couldn't get enough of it. I like what the introduction-man says before the music. Soft and sweet, swaying lightly with a smile on my lips.




24. Powerglove - "Batman"

I heard of this song through one of the sites I check every weekday (since reading this--for which you will hate me, then secretly love me, for linking to it)--Topless Robot. (Here's a link to the page that revealed this music goodness.) What's not to love about a metal band covering songs from our/their youth, like the 1989 Batman theme song, or, like in the next post, "Heffalumps and Woozles" from Winnie the Pooh?




- Powerglove - "Heffalumps and Woozles"

Here's the original for reference.




26. The Mamas & the Papas - "Dream a Little Dream of Me"

I first heard this song in the movie Leap Year. Scrumptious in its simplicity. Plus Mama Cass..




27. Fobia - "Camila"

I heard this song at a concert--Rock Revolucion, which also featured (my loves) Molotov and (extremely Mexican) El Tri. It's a nice rock song, I like the changes in rhythm, but also I think I like it because of the good memories of the concert.




28. The Statler Brothers - "Flowers on the Wall"

A friend linked this to me because of the Pulp Fiction connection, of course, but because I rarely wear my hearing aides (as I should) when watching movies, I don't catch the nuances or songs (and most of the dialogue) that I should catch--such touches that are aboundz zounds in Taratino movies. Anywho, vocal harmony has always fascinated me, which is mostly why I like this song.




29. TROGDOR!

Again, what's not to like? BURNINATING THE COUNTRYSIDE




30. Cole Porter - "Anything Goes"

Made a friend who plays Fallout and taught me all he could about the world, but since I have no... I am too impatient/space out and forget how buttons work too easily and so know better than to get involved in a video game.. since all that, all I got from this friend was the music in various parts of Fallout. "Anything Goes" is a fantastic song--I probably have heard it before, but I never paid any attention to it until recently--so it should count as a new discovery, right? Right.




31. The Ink Spots - "Maybe"

Found this the same way as "Anything Goes". It is a song to fall in love to, wearing a poodle skirt, necking in the back of the car.. er, yeah. The voice is so gorgeous.




32. Loituma - "Eva's Polka"

Saw this and had to find the origin of the song. Also, VOICES. Sweet harmony.




33. the song "Senorita" from the movie Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara

The movie is a Bollywood film about three friends who journey through Spain and discover something about themselves and each other. Also included: love, laughs, pain, and fewer songs than expected in a Bollywood film.
What I absolutely love about this song is its bilingual nature and how the song makes the cultures blend so easily. Plus: the men are gorgeous gorgeous.




34. Gipsy.cz - "Aven Romale"

I had heard one song of Gipsy.cz before this one, "Jednou", which video has a very (lovely) strong message. I may like this one mostly because of the outfit in the video, but after hearing it I couldn't stop humming it..




35. Josie Miles - "Mad Mama's Blues"

Discovered thanks to a Cracked article, I find the song so potent--I believe she will do what she says. I listen to it if I need something to articulate what I'm feeling. Oh, the blues, you devil, you.




36. Itoiz - "Hegal Egiten"

I was probably searching for some more Basque punk goodness when I discovered this. It makes me want to sing all day, sing whatever I'm feeling. It's kinda catchy, too.



ZE END OF PART DEUX

The end of Parte Dos, and what have I learned..? I may be insane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Samurai and Jane Eyre

Musica y Futbol -Rayo Vallecano & Ska-P-

Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan